Sunday, October 10, 2010

Updates on recent BKK trip







Despite blogging for over 2 years, I am still quite uncertain what style of writing I should use. Sometimes I feel like I am having a monologue, other times narrative. Perhaps I should try point form!

1.Went on a vacation in late Aug. Destination was Bangkok.
2.Made 2 sets of shirts and pants at Amara Hotel in BKK.
3.Most annoying incident was a series of 1-hr delays (4 times) for our departure flight with a certain recently-listed airline.
4.Next most annoying incident was being conned by taxi-drivers in BKK who took us to this particularly pirated Sombondee seafood restaurant. It did not happen once, we were tricked on 2 of the 3 days that we were at BKK. (For this incident I cannot express myself well in point-form)

On our first night, we headed straight for this restaurant called Nan Xing in Chinatown. The cab driving told us that Chinatown was shut for cleaning. At first I thought we were just unlucky to have wanted to go to Chinatown on the particular day of the week which it was closed for cleaning (as informed by our cabby). We wanted to try our luck and insisted on heading there anyway. Cabby was reluctant and sneered! When our insistence overwhelmed his persuasive skills, he said the road leading to Chinatown was jammed and it was impossible to enter. We relented.

Plan B kicked in. Instead, we decided to head for this famous seafood restaurant, Somboondee. There were many outlets scattered around BKK. After picking a certain outlet that is nearest to our hotel, we duly informed our cabby. Like a possessed person, he sped off to a restaurant that had an neon-lit acrylic signboard that resembled Somboondee's logo. We checked the street name and it wasn't the one we had indicated. Being the ever cautious tourist, I took out the map (I was at the front passenger seat) and randomly picked one (next to a University). He insisted that this was the one. I was appalled! How could I have been so lucky to randomly pick the outlet that we were at! I checked the surrounding and there was no landmark or buildings or signages that resembled that of a Uni!

To confirm the cabby's directional acumen, I randomly chose another outlet and informed the cabby to take us there. He refused and even drove right into the front yard of that restaurant. Our suspicion went off the chart! That was it, we just wanted to get off his cab immediately. When we stepped off the cab, a few waiters rushed forward towards us with menus! Gross!

5.Went to a famous French restaurant and spent SGD75 each.
6.Visited Chatuchak weekend market. Got myself a few good deals.


No comments: